How to make mobile phone using Arduino UNO?

Programming, Tutorial, Coding, New Design, and/or any project for your Arduino and Raspberry Pi can post your topic /suggestion here.
Yen LEE

How to make mobile phone using Arduino UNO?

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:05 pm

First, my name is Yen. I'm new to this forum.
I'll do my best with my tutorial to make it simple as possible on how to make mobile phone using Arduino UNO. I hope you'll like it

Let's Start.

At the very beginning, we’d better prepare the materials. Of course, most of these modules can be purchased directly, such as Arduino Uno, TFT Touch Shield and GPRS Shield.

What you need:
1.Arduino Uno
2.TFT Touch Shield
3.GPRS Shield
4.RTC
5.Custom ArduinoPhone Charge Circuit
6.Li-po battery
7.A shell (with 3D printer)

After preparing the materials, we need to assemble the above electronic components to lay the foundation functional part of Arduino Phone.

1.Plug GPRS Shield into Arduino UNO, then, connect the TFT Touch Shield to GPRS.
2.Connect RTC module to Arduino UNO.
2.Plug into the power module, and connect your earphone to the headphone jack on GPRS.

Ok, now, we are going to get into the software program part.

This Arduino Phone contains the following main functions.

1. receive & send message, letter input
2. dial & answer calls
3. real time clock display
4. A convenient and concise UI, You can switch function by sliding your finger on the screen. A standard 12 key input method for inputting message.

You can get all of the Arduino Phone code from the GITHUB, including the dependent libraries.

1. When you get to the github page, find a Download ZIP button, click to download the code.
2. The code you downloaded is not an Arduino library, it's a sketchbook, which is include all the library the project need.
3. Unzip the file you had downloaded from github, you will get a folder named ArduinoPhone-master.
4. Open your Arduino IDE, click File > Preferences > Sketchbook Location, browse to the folder we had mentioned above - ArduinoPhone-master. Then click OK to save it.
5. Close and re-open Arduino IDE, click File > Sketchbook > PhoneCode, then the main code of Arduino Phone is open.
6. Choose the right board and port to upload the code.

However, a much more difficult problem is that this Arduino Phone hasn’t physical buttons
(except the Reset button switch and GPRS). So, how to manage UI will be a challenging task.

Fortunately, TFT Touch not only provides a display function, also a touch screen function.
Thus, we can manage the UI through gesture, like left-swipe and right-swipe.

It this step, we will show how ArduinoPhone works.Finally, opening ArduinoPhone.ino with Arduino IDE, then upload source code to Arduino Phone.

In order to make it look like a phone, we printed a shell with 3D printer as shown above. Then, assemble them carefully.

Some Hacked we made
There's some pins on Seeeduino GPRS conflict with TFT Touch Shield. Here we need to cut a line on the PCB of Seeeduino GPRS, as shown in the Image. And do some soldering, connect the pin to D3 of Seeeduino GPRS. Remove R_D7 and R_D8(On the back of the board), and connect R_RX, R_TX together.

I also made a ArduinoPhone v2.0, which consists the below feature:

- Even more thinner, about 20 mm
- Support of solar and DC adopt charge
- Much more easy to install
- A longer standby time, more that 50 hours
- On board MIC and Speaker, say goodbye to the earphone
- 3D print shell

Electronic modules we need for this v2:
1. Seeeduino GPRS
2. TFT Touch Shiele V2
3. Lipo
4. Xadow GSM Breakout
5. Xadow Audio
6. 0.5W Solar Panel 55x70

Others:
1. Switch
2. Button
3 DC Jack input connector
4. 3D printer and the material

Click GITHUB to download the code.

1. When you get to the github page, find a Download ZIP button, click to download the code.
2. The code you downloaded is not an Arduino library, it's a sketchbook, which is include all the library the project need.
3. Unzip the file you had downloaded from github, you will get a folder namedArduinoPhone-master.
4. Open your Arduino IDE, click File > Preferences > Sketchbook Location, browse to the folder we had mentioned above - ArduinoPhone-master. Then click OK to save it.
5. Close and re-open Arduino IDE, click File > Sketchbook > PhoneCode, then the main code of Arduino Phone is open.
6. Choose the right board(Arduino Leonardo) and port to upload the code. Refer to the image above.

After finished this step, you should get the UI of ArduinoPhone 2.0. If not please make sure if the code had been uploaded well.

This Arduino Phone contains the following main functions.
1. receive & send message, letter input
2. dial & answer calls
3. real time clock display
4. A simple UI, You can switch function by sliding your finger on the screen. A standard 12 key input method for inputting message.

* The 3D printed casing for this phone can be downloaded Here.
3dPrintstl.zip
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 113 times
It's an open source project.

So far Arduino Phone 2.0 is still simple and crude, it only has the capacity to make the basic communication. But I believe that it will grow up better and better with the help of the community. And this is why people like open source and the community.

If you get a better idea, or you had made some improvement in the code, please give me pull request in Github. I am really appreciate that.

Cheers

Return to “ARDUINO AND RASPBERRY PI”

Links

In total there are 8 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests
Registered users: Bing [Bot]
Most users ever online was 156 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:42 am
Total posts 439
Total topics 318
Total members 62
Our newest member anonymous-kali
No birthdays today