Can I use ocean water (Natural Sea Water or NSR) in my aquarium?

Saltwater Aquarium or Freshwater Aquarium, The Fish, Corals, ecosystems, Parts DIY and so on
Agatha

Can I use ocean water (Natural Sea Water or NSR) in my aquarium?

Sat May 11, 2019 11:38 am

The Answer is Yes!

If you have access to clean ocean water (NSR or Natural Sea Water) to put in your saltwater aquarium, by all means use it. Dissolved trace minerals and salinity may vary slightly by area, but since natural sea water is what marine animals live in, it can often be a better source than using fresh tap water and a commercial salt mix to make up solutions, which can be time consuming and costly.

Collecting natural sea water and using it in your saltwater aquarium has a number of advantages over using a sea salt mix and tap or even reverse osmosis water. A number of people have described the water in the oceans as a "soup" because of all of the "bottom of the food chain stuff" in it that makes the oceans work. Depending on where you collect your ocean water, you may be able to see the planktonic life (a wide variety of different alga, fish and invertebrate eggs, larvae, even small fishes and invertebrates) with the naked eye. Put a few drops of almost any water from the ocean on a slide and look at it through a microscope and you will be amazed at what you see. One of the advantages of using natural sea water in your tank is that you will also be getting the microscopic life in the ocean back into your tank. If you have corals, (particularly soft corals like Mushrooms) in your tank, they will appreciate the extra "stuff" in the sea water as they get a portion of their nutrition from absorbing the "stuff" through their surface as opposed to actively feeding.

When deciding to use ocean water, just be sure to collect it away from freshwater river and stream run-off areas, especially if they are near chemical plants, factories, and animal or agricultural farms where the water may contain toxins, or when fuels are present in places such as around boat docks and high traffic harbors.

Return to “AQUARIUM ENTHUSIASTS”

Links

In total there are 5 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests
Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]
Most users ever online was 19 on Mon May 20, 2019 11:06 pm
Total posts 503
Total topics 382
Total members 72
Our newest member Agatha
No birthdays today